Thursday, April 3, 2008

Into the Mountains of Pakistan


I've recently made a new discovery in my reading adventures. I love to read so this is something I enjoy doing on my day off. However, when I read theology, ministry, or leadership books (my standard fare), my mind does not rest but goes immediately to the church, which means I'm not taking a rest. The problem is that I love what I do. I love ministry and church planting. So it's easy to not take a day off mentally. When I read these kind of books my mind goes into overdrive to make applications to my context, All Nations Fellowship. So, I've purposed to not read these sorts of books on my day off.

In my pursuit of rest and enjoying my days off, I've begun to pick up biographies. This winter I read a biography that would rank in my top five all time favorite books. I was captivated by the true story of Greg Mortenson called Three Cups of Tea. On the heels of failure (getting within a few hundred yards of the summit of K2 but aborting the climb to rescue a fellow climber), Greg found his life purpose: building schools in Muslim villages in the isolated mountains of Pakistan and then Afghanistan. His story made for some great illustrations for preaching. I know at least one Sunday, I went a little to far and shared a story, not because it fit the sermon, but just because it was a great story.

I loved the book for a variety of reasons. For one, Greg is a modern hero making a difference in our world. But he has his flaws and quirks and is humble enough to share them in his book. A second reason I loved the book was that it gave me a new depth of understanding and insight into a part of the world that is very isolated from most of the world, a part of the world I wanted to know more about. I encourage people to read it just to deepen their understanding of Pakistan, Afganistan, and Islam that has played a very significant role in the last eight years of the world.

I am also saddened by the book. There is a moment in his story when his work is stopped until it can be ruled on by a Muslim High Council in Iran to determine if this non-Muslim could be allowed to build schools for girls in in these villages. An investigation into Greg's life is made. Because he lives a moral life, and because he does not promote Christian teachings he is allowed. At this my heart sank. Its ok to help as long as Jesus is not part of it. But Jesus told his followers: "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name [emphasis mine] welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me" (Mark 9:37). These schools embrace and serve children, but not in the name of Jesus. My heart is sad because the great work that Greg is doing just goes half way. Jesus went on to say that we are to offer a cup of water to people in his name. Greg's story is powerful because his life radically challenges us to serve. Jesus radically challenges us to serve too: "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all" (Mark 9:35). But Jesus tells us to serve in HIS name so that our temporal help can also bring eternal help to people's lives.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hello. I don't know you, nor have I been to your church. I drove by the other day and my husband and I are coming on Sunday. We have recently moved back here from Charlotte, NC where we were involved in a very diverse church and loved it. I am actually commenting back because I read this book and found similar conclusions. Greg Mortenson is riveting and yet I left feeling like he was a passionate man who was giving his life to something that was just on the outside of God's desire for him. He also was so committed that his family did not seem to get the best of him and that made me sad.

Pastor John said...

Cindy, We look forward to meeting you all Sunday! I felt the same sense of sadness for Greg's family as well. I look forward to hearing about the church you were a part of in Charlotte.